Practicing with me
I offer weekly Yoga for Every Body classes online via Zoom from September to July each year.
- These classes combine the friendly, interactive feeling of a traditional class with the convenience of practicing in the comfort of your own home.
- Find details of my current class schedule and how to sign up here.
I also run regular in-person Make Space workshops in and around the South Downs National Park (Hampshire/West Sussex/ Surrey).
- These are a wonderful way to step away from your busy life for a few hours and practice together without a screen in sight.
- (Re)learn how to connect with your body, still your mind and experience deep, deep rest.
- Click here to find out more and see details of forthcoming dates and venues.
What kind of Yoga?
The yoga that I practice and teach explores the classical postures (or asanas) of traditional Hatha yoga through the natural movements of each individual body. This is yoga not for exercise, but for ‘innercise’ – reconnecting with our body, our nervous system and, ultimately, our sense of Self.
It is not about striving to attain and hold complex physical postures, but rather about learning to feel how your body needs to move today. In the memorable words of one of my students, my classes involve “less movement, but better movement”. The experience is at once both gentle and incredibly powerful. With time, this practice can have a profound effect on both physical and emotional wellbeing.
The approach is inspired by the work of Vanda Scaravelli who adapted the teachings of her teacher, Sri B.K.S. Iyengar, to address the impact of the modern, sedentary lifestyle on Western bodies and posture.
I owe a deep debt of gratitude to Jenny Beeken, co-founder of the Scaravelli-inspired Inner Yoga Trust, who helped guide my exhausted body and mind back to health through remedial yoga classes, retreats and, eventually a 3-year, 500 hour yoga teacher training course which I completed in 2018.
In addition to Jenny and other senior Inner Yoga teachers, my teaching is influenced by other Scaravelli-inspired teachers including Sandra Sabatini, Michal Havak and Bill Wood. I have undertaken additional training in the neuroscience of slow, mindful yoga (with Kristine Weber) and in yoga nidra (Uma Dinsmore-Tuli and Nirlipta Tuli). I am also inspired to learn more about the Feldenkrais Method® of somatic education which I feel complements this gentle yet deep approach to yoga perfectly.
Work with me 1:1
If you’re looking for a fully personalised experience, book in for a no-strings conversation about working with me 1:1.
- If you already know what you want, either today or every time – hypnotherapy, ‘just talking’, yoga nidra, yoga postures and meditation, etc – then that’s what we’ll focus on.
- If not, I will use my skills, training and intuition to respond to whatever you bring to today’s session to help you find the clarity and movement you are seeking.
- Sometimes the result may feel more like a traditional hypnotherapy session, sometimes more like a 1:1 yoga class and sometimes like something in between – or even something totally different!
- Sessions usually last about 90 minutes and can take place face-to-face in my consulting room in Petersfield, Hampshire, or over Zoom.
- A standard session lasts about 90 minutes and costs £135.
- Where we both agree that further sessions would be helpful, I offer a 10% discount on 4 sessions booked in advance.
- Click here to book an Exploratory Call and find out more about working with me 1:1 – or if one of my group sessions feels more suited to your needs right now.
(Image shows me with Muppet, my constant companion from 2007 to 2022.)